Everybody knows that Twitter is an excellent way to meet and connect with businesses and prospects all over the place. Plus, it makes for an excellent platform to promote and strengthen your brand equity. But if you are struggling with making twitter work for you, here are the tips that I guarantee you will gain a better idea of what to do and not.
1. Choose carefully when building followers and when following. Make it a point to connect with prospects and with people who are connected to prospects.
2. Maintain a strong sense of etiquette without being too formal. Stay away from defamation, flaming and spam. Stick close to praise, acceptable humor and value-driven commentary.
3. You don’t only have to speak in corporate tones. Loosen up a little and inject some personality into your tweets from time to time. Fun things that happened at office, special occasions, trips to exotic places and popular industry incidents are good tweeting topics.
4. Tweet regularly and add value to your tweeting. If you don’t tweet a lot you’ll be drowned out by competitors who do.
5. When you receive a new follower, ensure that you send them a thank you tweet as soon as possible. Don’t automate this process. Instead, personalize it. Check their profile out and include interesting details in your message to them.
6. Tweet to the media and try to grab their attention. Successfully doing this will strengthen your brand equity in the eyes of your fellow tweeters.
7. Retweet your followers’ tweets when you share interests or pursue similar goals. They will appreciate the attention and you will receive good karma. Follow them back for bonus karma.
8. Use twitter tools. There are so very many applications that can help you out that you’ll have your hands full trying to figure them out. A good idea is to figure what your goals are and how you intend to achieve them. You can then match tools to specific actions that you need to undertake.
9. Twitter takes time to generate results. Don’t be daunted by the lack of spectacular success early on.
10. Don’t sell stuff on twitter. It’s true that it makes an excellent sales portal, but if you aren’t a big brand wouldn’t suggest leading with a pitch.
11. Establishing a tweet style or theme is great for branding and, if done regularly and attractively, could have the potential to develop into an internet meme. But remember to break it up and include humorous elements from time to time.
12. Place important contacts on a twitter list with a snazzy title and let them know that they’re on there. Think “The Entrepreneurial Elite” as opposed to “SME Executives”.
13. Tweet twice in the morning, tweet twice at night. You may have great content but if only tweet once, chances are you aren’t drawing enough attention to it.
14. Actively search for content or media that concern your followers and tweet it to them. Also send them interesting stuff about YOU.
15. Twitter has the ability to eat up large chunks of your day so set a daily tweeting time quota and stick to it.
16. Subscribe to company blogs and comment on the posts. Make sure you read the post and contribute to or a start a relevant and meaningful discussion. Don’t spam them with your links. Tweet about their posts too.
17. Connect with followers on other social media and tweet about their activity there.
And that’s about it! If you’ve got any suggestions or would like to add a few tips of your own, leave a comment, start a discussion, go wild! Until then, happy tweeting!